This course is only available for group bookings. Enquire for more information.
This course provides the skills and knowledge required to safely prepare for and provide support to clients requiring assistance with medication or assistance to self-medicate.
The course is relevant to carers and support workers currently working in aged care or disability support settings with authority in their state or territory to provide assistance with medication administration.
Participants successfully completing this course will receive a Statement of Attainment for HLTHPS006 Assist clients with medication which is a nationally recognised unit of competency. All components are compulsory and must be completed to gain a Statement of Attainment.
Participants to complete this course will gain an understanding of the following concepts:
- Relevant Legislation and industry standards
- What is medication and what does it do?
- Medication names and terminology
- Medication forms and types
- Medication orders
- Preparing the client for medication administration
- Preparing and checking medication – the “rights” of medication administration
- Indications and contraindications
- Assisting with administration of medication via oral, topical and inhaled routes
- Side effects and adverse reactions
- Safe storage, handling and disposal of medication
- Reporting and post-administration documentation
Training / Career Pathways
Completing the HLTHPS006 Assist clients with medication course opens you up to better employment opportunities in the Disability, Aged Care, Community, and Health Sector.