CHCSS00070 Assist Clients with Medication Skill Set
A course designed for carers and support workers
Only available in VIC, SA & TAS
This course provides the skills and knowledge required to safely prepare for and provide support to clients requiring assistance with medication administration.
The course is relevant to carers and support workers currently working in residential aged care or disability support settings with authority in their state or territory to provide assistance with medication administration.
Participants successfully completing this course will receive a Statement of Attainment for CHCSS00070 Assist Clients with Medication which is a nationally recognised Skill Set.
Candidates seeking enrolment in the Skill Set may apply for a Credit Transfer for any one of the core units. (may reduce course duration)
Participants will gain an understanding of the following concepts:
HLTAAP001 Recognise healthy body systems
- Body systems and basic anatomy and physiology
- Recognising deterioration in client health
- Supporting clients to maximise health and wellbeing
HLTHPS006 Assist clients with medication
- Relevant legislation and industry standards
- What is medication and what does it do?
- Medication names and terminology
- Medication forms and types
- Medication orders and documentation
- Preparing the client for medication administration
- Preparing and checking medication
- Indications and contraindications
- Assisting with oral, topical and inhaled medications
- Side effects and adverse reactions
- Medication errors and contingencies
- Safe storage, handling and disposal of medication
- Reporting and post administration documentation
- Liaising with others in the healthcare team