Epilepsy & Midazolam
Provide support for clients experiencing seizures that require administration of Midazolam
The aim of this training program is to ensure that participants can safely and confidently provide support for clients experiencing seizures that require administration of Midazolam.
Participants will gain an understanding of the following concepts:
- What epilepsy is and how it affects functioning
- Causes of epilepsy
- General management for wellbeing of people living with epilepsy
- How to interpret epilepsy management plans
- Seizures – triggers and causes
- Supporting a person during a seizure
- What is Midazolam and how does it work?
- Intrabuccal and intranasal administration of Midazolam
- Reporting and documentation
Course Structure & Competency
The course is delivered in the classroom and includes theory, practical activities and a theory knowledge test.
Practical activities include practice and demonstration of competency in:
- Intranasal Midazolam administration*
- Buccal Midazolam administration*
As this course includes administration of Midazolam, all participants must have general medication competency to attend